There’s nothing worse then trying to lose weight and having to give up everything you enjoy! I don’t know about you but when I’m told I can’t have something all of a sudden I want it even more!!!
The reason a lot of diets don’t work is because we give up everything we like to eat and replace it with foods we often hate, and unfortunately we cannot maintain over a long period of time. The bad part is usually when we fall off the “Diet train” we usually put on weight because we start pigging out on all the foods we gave up, tragically making up for lost time!
Living a healthy life is all about making choices. Make better choices and live a better life its that simple but not always that easy! The great news is we don’t have to give up all the foods we love – We can swap it for better choices with less calories that you will enjoy just (or nearly) as much!
Here’s 10 foods/drinks you can swap that won’t destroy your waistline:
1. Crave chocolate? Did you know there is up to a whopping 700+ calories in a chocolate bar! And even though we always say we will only have 1 row who can resist once its there in front of us! The trick here is to swap it with a golden rough (only 109 cals) or small Freddo Frog only 65 calories. Strawberries dipped in dark chocolate are another great way to have that choc fix without it permanently sticking to your thighs!
2. Ice cream – feeling like a yummy ice cream sundae for dessert? This can have up to 500 calories (nearly over 1/3 of our daily food intake) and has no health benefits! Swap it for a chocolate paddle pop has only 79 calories and still tastes yum!
3. Meat Pie – yum but so many calories from fat! If you want pie that tastes even better then the shops make your own at home. Its easy – use lean meat, tomatoes, onion and mushrooms with Worcestershire sauce and canned tomatoes, place in a cooking bowl and use puff pastry just on top and it tastes delicious!
4. Pizza –There are many things you can do to pizza to make it still taste great without the excessive calories. Swap the thick crust and cheesy crusts for a thin crust, choose toppings like chicken breast that are not processed, remove the bacon and other fatty toppings such as peperoni and salami, and most importantly DON’T EAT THE WHOLE PIZZA! Have a couple of slices with a salad and you will enjoy just as much – maybe even more as you wont feel bloated and guilty at the end.
5. Soft drinks are a waistline killer full of empty unhealthy calories that you don’t even think about! Swap your Coke and soft drinks for water with lemon or lime – or even a sugar free soft drink. I know people say sugar free drinks are bad but in moderation they are fine and better to have sugar free lemonade then a can of coke!
6. Swap your hot deep fried chips for oven-baked chips. So they don’t taste the same (nothing can compare to KFC chips) but oven-baked chips still taste great. Fried chips are one of the worst foods you can eat as they are just like having a big ball of fat. Better to have oven baked chips then none no chips at all I say!
7. Hamburgers – there’s so many healthy burgers out there now that you really have a great selection if a hamburger is what you crave! Choose one with a whole meal bun, chicken breast instead of the fatty patties and, or try one with lean steak, and ask for lots of salad to fill you up. Avoid the cheese, butter, egg, bacon and lots of sauces, as this is where the hidden calories are.
8. Iced coffee/ iced chocolate Frappuccino with cream has up to 600 calories in a drink! Swap this for our LADY SHAKE only 208 calories and it will keep you full for 3-4 hours because of all the nutrients and fibre. And our Lady Shakes taste delicious (if I do say so myself!!!)
9. Swap butter for avocado – butter really is eating a ball of fat that goes straight to your butt and stays there! Avocado is high in fibre and omega 3’s and is great for your brain, heart, eyes and health, and tastes delicious on almost anything!
10. Lollies are just pure sugar and we all know how bad sugar is for us. Unfortunately sugar is addictive so it makes us crave more sugar, which is why it is impossible to eat just 1 lolly!!! Instead grab a handful of nuts. Nuts have good fats and a good source of protein and fibre. Just make sure you stick to unsalted roasted or raw nuts.
There are many foods out there now that you can eat that are healthier and still taste great. But at the end of the day no matter what you do in life if your not committed to whatever you are trying to achieve it wont work! Life is to be enjoyed so I hope you can find eating healthier enjoyable, and find some little treats that work for you without destroying your waistline. And remember the key really is moderation. No you wont lose weight eating pizza everyday no matter which option you choose, but you will lose weight or have great health if you have it as a treat and eat well 90% of the time xxx